Friday, February 27, 2015

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

If you've never read, "The Hiding Place" you need to.  I needed to again, and I'm glad that I did! It is full of miracles that reaffirm over and over God's love for His children, and how he supports us through our trials.  He really is in control.

Here's a facebook post I wrote about this book, emphasizing some of those miracles:

This is the second time I have read this book, and once again it has touched my life, but in ways different than it did the first time. Now I am a mother with three young children rather than a seventeen year old just finishing high school, and my needs are different. I was amazed most by the miracles. So many miracles. Corrie's visions to prepare her for the difficult future ahead, Annaliese's protection after Nollie's terrifying display of honesty, the many times Corrie wasn't searched allowing her to keep her precious Bible and vitamins, the unending supply of vitamin drops that lasted just until another source of vitamins was available, the cramping allowing Betsie and Corrie to stow away the Bible early in the bathroom before stripping down for Ravensbruck, and the ever present fleas that protected their ministry of hope in Barracks 28. Like Corrie, I wouldn't have been able to comprehend all those miracles. I tend, like her, to try and overthink and find an explanation. Betsie showed perfect faith in God's plan, and she saw the good in everything. She makes me want to peer harder at my own life, which I'm sure is just filled with miracles that I overlook daily.
Betsie really exemplifies a magnificent faith, a faith that I want to have. I want to see the good that I can do everyday with the situation I have been given. "There is a time and a season." The time is now and the season is now to find happiness and do good in the world the way in which I am given by God to be able to serve. For me, yeah there are a lot of things that I'm not doing right at this minute because I have only babies and core phase kiddos at home with me, but there is an awful lot of awesomeness that comes with this time that I often miss out on in the tired day to day struggle being patient with tiny people craziness. If Betsie could feel love for her captors, have a desire to serve others, and find reason to look forward with hope, despite her being sick, abused, and later dying there at Ravensbruck, I can take my comparably beautifully blessed life and grow in patience and love and gratitude following her example.
Love this book. What a classic.

Those were some thoughts I had directly correlating to the book immediately after re-reading it. And now, here are some different ones...

Lessons and principles Corrie teaches that I need in my life right now: 
  • God is in control, even, and especially when I feel out of control. All those miracles to keep Corrie and Betsie going that I noted above; all those blessings. Had they not had those terrible experiences, would Corrie have been as beautiful an instrument in God's hand? She was already a lovely person, but I doubt it. When I experience trials and tribulation, the Lord takes care of me, too. My experiences will mold me into a better instrument for His service.
  • It is okay to admit your doubts and fears, and to acknowledge the good that you admire in others.  Corrie readily admits that Betsie is naturally a little closer to God than she is, and she admires and loves her sister for it and strives herself to reach that same plane of unselfishness and love for those around her.  I have plenty of faults, some very well known to me. And I see the goodness in others... I don't need to pound myself down or feel annoyed with others when they are better than me in some way. Learn and grow, let others help pull me up, too. 
  • The Lord will give me the strength I need in the moment of the trial of my faith.  Father's response to Corrie's worrying about death, "when you and I go to Amsterdam--when do I give you your ticket?" "Why, just before we get on the train." "Exactly. And our Father in Heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need--just in time" (p. 44). 
  • Other people's choices can hurt us, but they needn't scar us for life. We can forgive and utilize the atonement to give our pain over to God.  Corrie could have hated Karel the rest of her life for throwing their relationship away for fortune, but she forgave him and asked God to let her love him like He loves him.  She nearly lost herself hating the man who turned herself and her family in, but again finally gave away that hate.  She nearly didn't shake the hand of the man who had been a terrible guard at the prison camp, but with God, she could do it. 
  • Even during my deepest trials, or busiest hours, I can serve.  Corrie's mother continued to care for her neighbors and friends even though she could speak but three words and was paralyzed after her stroke. There was no defeat, only faith in that woman. Her life was happy, even as an invalid, in service.

Lessons, principles, and guidelines of mentoring: 
  • "Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you." "Father's Suitcase."  p. 42 (35th anniversary edition). 
  • Love and a soft voice teach better than yelling and harsh admonitions. Betsie's love for others changes the entire atmosphere, even in the death camp, from one of hate and fear, to one of love and service. People are naturally inspired to show more love around others who see the good and potential in them rather than the evil. 
  • Perfect honesty. Keep it real with the kids. In everyday life. Your faith will protect you. You'll be blessed. (Nollie, etc.) Though, Corrie never admits to having a secret room, and those people lived because of it. Lie of omission? The Lord knows our hearts, and the German "law" was extremely misguided at the time. How trying... 
  • Time outdoors is essential to learning and healing. The gardens help heal the victims of war to heal, to forgive, to move on.  
  • Sometimes you just have to let go of a mentee to protect others. Father fires Otto when he discovers how terribly cruel he has been towards Christoffels. Though he tried to reason with the young man, Otto was already brain washed a Nazi and past feeling. Sometimes you just have to let go of trying to change others. Agency is real.  
  • Different leaders lead differently. Corrie was different from Betsie who was different from Father, who was different from Tante Jans, etc. but all of these characters exhibit beautiful leadership skills. We all have different strengths. That's okay. 
  • Lean on the Lord when you need help and He will provide. After learning of her father's death, Corrie seeks comfort from people, her captors, who are not comforting in the least. (An easy mistake to make after being in isolation). She relearns how she needs to rely on God in those times of trouble. Comfort is near. I know the Lord will inspire me as to what I should do regarding my children and what they need if I seek his will in humble prayer. 

Examples of doing the right thing even when it was hard or seemed like the wrong thing:  
  • Nollie tells the truth about hiding Jews, having faith that her honesty will protect Annaliese, and Annaliese is indeed protected.  That would be hard for me. I think I probably tell more white lies than I realize. Corrie did, too. The Nazi's didn't find the brothers who literally were "under the table" and Annaliese did escape, though. Wow, wow, wow! 
  • Betsie thanking the Lord for the fleas.  I was impressed that she did that.  Like Corrie, I wouldn't have wanted to either and I would have thought my sister a nut. But they really were a protection. They were able to keep that Bible and hold those services and touch the lives of so many women because of those blessed biting fleas! 
  • Peter playing Wilhelmas for the congregation. Right thing? Unsure... but it did bring spirit and love to the people.  He did what little he could to show his patriotism and courage. True to himself. 
  • Unselfishly sharing the vitamins with everyone. Corrie didn't want to initially, but Betsie always did, and later they shared freely.  The vitamins never ran out until a new source of vitamins was obtained. Wow. 
  • Continuing to serve after being severely mistreated. Before her discharge, Corrie continues to help others in the hospital get bedpans even though a gypsy woman flings her putrid gangrene leg wrapping in her face. She endures and continues to serve those in need. 
  • Laughing with those who mock and belittle.  Betsie laughs with the woman guard who is making fun of her instead of getting offended like the woman expected, and she is beat for it. She still turns the other cheek, so Christ-like. 
  • Bearing testimony to a Nazi--following the spirit.  Chapter 11, The Lieutenant.  At Scheveningen, Corrie testifies of Christ to the man who conducts her "trial."  She risks her life, but follows the spirit in doing so. She opens that man up to a possible road of healing and faith. Wow.  So often I keep my own mouth closed about what I believe in out of fear.  Fear of what, though?  I can't imagine my life being at risk like this woman's was for testifying of spiritual truths.
There are a lot more examples under all of these topics that I could refer to and discuss, but I think I will move on, as there are a couple more things I want to record in this posting about this book.  What I really need to do is buy my own copy of the book and mark it up like crazy.  I used a library copy this time. Mistake. This book needs to be in my personal library for keeps! 

Something I want to think about... How does the "immediate" or "urgent" get in the way of the "important" in my life?  I struggle with this a lot. I want to finish the dishes, I want to finish cleaning up, I want to finish the chapter, I want to finish this blog posting. . . I like to finish things and sometimes neglect the small teaching moments, the exciting moments of love that I won't be able to get back; I lose the opportunities to create tender memories by reading that story "right now" despite being in the middle of something else.  I forget that the laundry can wait, and good heavens there will be more of it. It's not like I'm missing out on anything. Ha!  I am not the type to let household duties get completely out of hand, so I needn't worry if I'm delayed fifteen minutes by answering a question, helping my son get his shoes on the right feet, or comforting someone who has stubbed a toe  Yes, Mommy needs time to do things. (I'm writing this at 1:30 in the morning, so I guess my time is now... except I need sleep, too.) But I have a tendency to be generally selfish and prefer my kids to wait more than I say yes and make now special, or to help them but be inwardly disgruntled the whole time. Attitude problem.   

I think I need a little more rubato in my life. 

Here's what I mean. "Rubato" is an Italian musical term and it literally means to "rob time." But, in music, when time is stolen, like Robin Hood, it must be given back somewhere.  Where there is a slowing down, there has to be a speeding back up. I like my life to run smoothly at tempo 120, like a march, precise and accurate.  I need to ease up and let there be a little more ebb and flow. It need not stay slow--laundry has to get to done for the good of the family, too. Maybe it can happen a little bit later than I had anticipated and life will go on and be okay.  

The most beautiful songs I have sung are filled with rubato. They are more passionate, more longing, more memorable. So is a life. 

In reading, "The Hiding Place," I realized that my priorities regarding what is important to do everyday need to shift. Household chores, the kid's daily routine, cleanliness, and responding to emails in a timely manner are all important things. Before them on the list, however, should be love, quality time, scriptures and prayer, relationships. If we have a jammy day and don't make our beds because I get up late after a rough night with the baby (or blogging...*sigh*), but we still have scriptures and prayer, read stories and laugh and play together, all will be well. I love how Father starts the day, even with his employees, reading the good word. He also values his relationships people more than making money. He sees what Christ sees in others, and his children, friends, and associates are blessed by it. 

I want to see what Christ sees as important in my life and see to it that it happens. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Excellent Blog! I need to read this book! Thanks for sharing your feelings and insight! :-)

    ReplyDelete